Why or why not?
Here was our definition of civilization.
Should contain all or most of the following characteristics:
- The state: a central governing authority in which a relatively small group of people exercised, to some extent, command over the economic and political life of everyone else.
- Job specializations (Part of the population have jobs or professions other than growing food or herding animals.)
- Institutions for collecting, storing, and distributing surplus products, staffed by officials and managers.
- Social class hierarchy – Typically, a small privileged elite occupied the top rank, the vast majority of farmers, herders, and laborers the bottom.
- Institutionalized religion.
- Monumental public architecture.
- Creation and accumulation of knowledge in mathematics, engineering, astronomy, and other technical and scientific fields.
Also see Google Classroom for the notes written by Alex during our class discussion.